Best Dog Clippers for Poodles (2019) – Expert Reviews & Guide
Poodle fur is grooming-intensive and, therefore, requires good maintenance especially owing to its natural curl. It may not seem like a big deal but the minute you neglect your poodle’s fur you could end up paying up for costly visits to the vet (that is if you don’t end up dealing with nerve-wracking, recurrent infections). Simply put, finding the best dog clippers for poodles isn’t something whose importance you should underestimate.
Table of Contents
- Best Clippers for Poodles - Comparisons
- 11 Best Dog Clippers for Poodles Reviews
- 1. Andis ProClip AG2 2-Speed Detachable Blade Clipper
- 2. Andis AGC2 2-Speed UltraEdge Professional-Grade Clipper
- 3. Wahl U-Clip Deluxe Grooming Kit
- 4. Wahl 8786-800 Cordless Clipper Professional Animal Arco Equine
- 5. Wahl Bravura Lithium Clippers Professional Animal
- 6. Oster A5 Two Speed Animal Grooming Clipper
- 7. Andis Super AGR+ Cordless Detachable Blade Clipper (63855)
- 8. Andis MBG-2 (21420) EasyClip Pro-Animal Clipper, Animal/Dog Grooming Kit
- 9. Andis AGC2 22340 Clipper, ProClip Professional Animal Grooming.
- 10. Oster A6 Cool Comfort Heavy Duty Clipper
- 11. Wahl Professional Animal KM2 Deluxe Dog Pet Clipper Kit #9757-1001
- The Buying Guide
- Which One is Best for You?
Best Clippers for Poodles - Comparisons
2.4 x 7 x 1.8 inches
7.7 x 2.4 x 9.8 inches
1.5 x 2 x 6.5 inches
6.8 x 10 x 9.8 inches
4.5 x 6.2 x 10 inches
3 x 10.5 x 6 inches
7.2 x 2 x 2 inches
10.3 x 10.2 x 3.1 inches
10 x 3 x 9 inches
6.9 x 1.9 x 1.8 inches
3 x 7.8 x 10 inches
We cannot stress how crucial it is to trim a poodle. However, with so many clippers available on the market finding the right one to settle for might prove an arduous task. But why worry when we have a team looking out for the best deals for you? Stick around for a close up look at the 11 best-selling poodle fur trimmers on the market.
11 Best Dog Clippers for Poodles Reviews
1. Andis ProClip AG2 2-Speed Detachable Blade Clipper
Known for its powerful motor, this clipper from Andis is recommended for domestic and commercial use. We clearly like it because it has a smooth functioning system which operates quietly. That said, the gadget remains susceptible to clogging up due to the peculiar placement of its air vents and fans. Had the manufacturer focused on solving this issue, there’s no doubt that the Andis ProClip would have won quite a few awards.
That said, this well-rated clipper is housed inside a break resistant material which is capable of withstanding harsh chemicals. With a 2700 rpm blade speed, this single rotary motor trimmer is reliable when faced with the difficult task of penetrating a poodle’s thick coat. And have we also mentioned the fact that no oiling or greasing is needed for this trimmer?
- Powerful motor.
- Has a heavy duty power cord.
- Easy-to-change, detachable blades.
- Excellent locking switch for added safety.
- Gets hot when used for more than 30 minutes.
- Easily clogs up when exposed to poodle fur.
2. Andis AGC2 2-Speed UltraEdge Professional-Grade Clipper
Compared to its sibling the Andis ProClip, UltraEdge is by far better in terms of power and speed. Picture this – it delivers 4,100 rpm which is almost twice as much as the ProClip does. But wouldn’t this added power make require a noisy motor? Well, not really. In fact, the UltraEdge has one of the quietest motors we’ve come across so far. And to top it up, the manufacturer seems to have figured out how to deal with overheating in this clipper meaning you can operate it for long without worrying about things going berserk.
- High motor speed.
- Cool and quiet motor.
- Powerful housing that resists harsh chemicals.
- Ergonomic design.
- No oiling or greasing required (maintenance-free).
- It’s corded and, therefore, limits one to use it near a wall plug.
Read More: Case Trimmer for Reloading.
3. Wahl U-Clip Deluxe Grooming Kit
If you’re looking for a cheap dog clipper for poodles, this is probably the best-priced option you’ll come across. Designed to produce 7,200 strokes per minutes and backed up by high-quality blades, this gadget is popularly reviewed and ranked a 5-star by thousands of pet owners. To accommodate all that power without being too noisy, the innovative trimmer has an electromagnetic motor which operates quietly and seamlessly.
- Great choice for light body clipping.
- Comes as a 16-piece kit.
- Backed by a 2-year warranty & 30-day money back guarantee.
- Great finishing touches.
- Tends to struggle with poodle, chow chow, and Irish wolfhound coats.
4. Wahl 8786-800 Cordless Clipper Professional Animal Arco Equine
A grooming kit makes grooming routines easier unlike buying one tool. Wahl 8786-800 Cordless Clippers is a 5 in 1 kit. The Clippers trim at 5500 SPM making them glide through coats quickly, cutting evenly.
The Clippers weigh 7.9 ounces. Being light in weight and ergonomically designed makes this gadget ideal for a comfortable grooming experience. The batteries get fully charged within 75 minutes and then run for 80 minutes when fully charged.
The clippers are quiet enough not to cause anxiety to noise sensitive animals. Besides that, the blades are interchangeable because they are designed to be detachable therefore ensuring that you trim using the right blade types and size.
The kit includes the Clipper with 2 removable batteries, blades, guide combs, blade oil, a cleaning brush, a charger and a charging stand.
- It is a brand of Wahl Clipper Corporation, which has been in this industry since 1919.
- The Clipper has a one-year limited warranty plus a 30-day satisfaction guarantee.
- It is a kit, so less time spent shopping for other accessories.
- Two removable batteries.
- It is competitively priced.
- They are cordless.
- The product is manufactured for the USA market only(120V).
- Even though cordless is good, but a cord(option) helps when the device has to operate for long periods of time.
If you have cocker spaniel dog, you can check this best dog clippers for cocker spaniel.
5. Wahl Bravura Lithium Clippers Professional Animal
Wahl Bravura Lithium Clippers feature the lithium-ion technology. The motor operates at 5500 SPM, and the device has speed controls. Because of this, they trim efficiently gliding through coats smoothly. You can, therefore, handle the toughest trimming jobs with this machine. The battery takes 1 hour to charge and runs for 90 minutes when full. In addition, the Clippers are constructed to operate as both corded and cordless for your convenience, in case the battery runs out of power.
On top of that, the blades are made from high-grade steel, and they are adjustable. The blades are therefore efficient and durable. Besides that, the Clippers are designed to be lightweight at 8.8 ounces, with no vibration and very little noise, making the grooming experience comfortable and stress-free.
- Cool-running, it does not heat up.
- One-year Limited warranty and a 30-day satisfaction guarantee.
- Lithium-ion powered machine.
- It can operate with a cord and without one(cordless).
- Speed control.
- It is made for the USA market only.
- The Clippers body feel rather cheap for a product of its price.
6. Oster A5 Two Speed Animal Grooming Clipper
Oster A5 Grooming Clipper turns the grooming of your animals into a pleasant and fast exercise. This device trims dogs, cats, horses and other livestock effectively working through coarse and matted hair well. It is equipped with a motor that has two speeds, 4000SPM and 3000SPM. The higher rate is ideal for trimming tough coats, and the lower speed for sensitive body parts.
In addition to having a wide blade design, the blades have an A5 detachable blade system, for easy changing of blades. Best of all, the motor operates quietly giving you and your animals a stress-free grooming experience.
The package includes #10 CryogenX blade, replacement carbon brushes, blade oil, clipper grease and a cleaning brush.
- The Clippers have two speeds.
- Wide blade design.
- A5 detachable blade system.
- Quiet motor.
- The speed is lower than other brands.
7. Andis Super AGR+ Cordless Detachable Blade Clipper (63855)
63855 Andis Super Cordless Clippers feature a Polymer, break-resistant, and contour shaped device manufactured in the USA. They are therefore durable and easy to handle.
The device is fitted with a durable stainless steel cool-running CeramicEdge blade. The blades are detachable making them easy to clean, maintain and change when different sizes are required. The Clippers are also designed to be easy to detach and change blades.
The battery takes an hour to charge and runs for a full hour when fully charged. A spare battery can be charged separately for convenience when the Clipper is in use. You can also buy a cord from the manufacturer and operate them as corded.
- Break-resistant housing.
- Battery charging pack separate from Clipper.
- Detachable blades.
- Cool-running blade.
- They are quite expensive.
8. Andis MBG-2 (21420) EasyClip Pro-Animal Clipper, Animal/Dog Grooming Kit
Are you looking for grooming clippers for heavy coated dogs? Andis MBG-2 (21420) Pro-Animal Clipper is equipped with a rotating motor, that is powered to manage thick coats providing a uniform cut for heavy coated dog breeds like spaniels and poodles.
The Clippers have a detachable blade design and are engineered to work with the largest blades in the industry like CeramicEdge, Oster A-5, and UltraEdge. The detachable design makes them easy to clean and change blades to suit the trimming difficulty. What’s more, the Clippers run quietly, and they are therefore comfortable for your noise sensitive dogs. The clippers feature a break-resistant housing.
An order includes the Clippers, a storage case, blade oil, and four attachment combs of different sizes.
- Quite affordable.
- Quiet during operation.
- Sharp and cool running blades.
- Break-resistant housing.
- It is corded. Managing corded clippers is not easy.
9. Andis AGC2 22340 Clipper, ProClip Professional Animal Grooming.
Andis AGC2 22340 Clipper feature a heavy-duty Clipper fitted with a rotating two-speed motor with superior power to trim thick coats effectively. The two-speed motor makes them able to handle all coats and breeds of animals. To trim different coats require a change of blade sizes and a new speed setting. In addition, the motor is constructed to operate quietly and stay cool.
They have a detachable blade feature, and they are therefore easy to clean and also easy to change blades. The Clippers are compatible with standard blades in the market including ShowEdge blades, Oster A-5 blades, CeramicEdge, and UltraEdge. The Clippers also have a shatter-proof housing.
- It is competitively priced.
- It is designed with a quiet running motor and cool-running blades.
- Two speeds to fit different kinds of coats.
- Shatter resistant body.
- They have a cord. Managing a cable during grooming is inconveniencing.
10. Oster A6 Cool Comfort Heavy Duty Clipper
Oster A6 Pet Clippers offer a comfortable grooming experience with their many features. The motor is designed with three speeds with one-touch control. The motor is 7.5 V, 15 watts. The speeds three speeds are, low at 3,100SPM, medium at 3,600SPM, and high speed at 4,400 SPM. The motor is designed to handle different coats efficiently. To trim different breeds of animals require setting the ideal speed and changing blades.
The clipper has vibration isolators which also minimize noise to offer a pleasant grooming experience. The lightweight 12.9 ounces Clipper plus the ergonomic soft-grip handle help to reduce heat-ups and operator fatigue during prolonged use.
The clippers are compatible with all Oster A5 detachable guide combs and blades. The package includes a #10 CryogenX blade. These are high quality, hard blades which do smooth cuts. They are made from steel using a twelve-step process.
- High-performance #10 CryogenX blades.
- The clipper can trim all kinds of coats because of its three-speed settings.
- Changing the speed is easy by using one button.
- It has a comfortable and ergonomic handle.
- It has vibration isolators to minimize noise and vibrations.
- The brand is limited to the USA only.
- The Clippers are corded, managing cords is tedious.
11. Wahl Professional Animal KM2 Deluxe Dog Pet Clipper Kit #9757-1001
9757-1001 Wahl Pet Clippers are designed for effortless trimming and durability. They are perfect for full body grooming, and they can cut thick animal coats. They weigh 13 ounces and feature a rotary two speed motor with 3,000SPM and 3,400SPM. In addition, they have a superior detachable blade design for easy cleaning and changing of blades. The Clipper comes with a #30 Competition Series blades for precision cutting. Besides that, the Clippers operate quietly for reduced user fatigue and stress-free animals. It is impact resistant and chemical resistant making it durable.
- Two-year limited warranty.
- Bonus DVD included on animal grooming.
- Detachable blade design.
- It has a cord and cords have to be managed during a trimming exercise.
- Made for the USA market only.
How to Sharpen Dog Nail Clippers HERE
The Buying Guide
As we’ve already mentioned, poodles are delicate creatures and they, therefore, deserve nothing but the best in terms of clippers. So, how can a first-time buyer go about finding the right trimmer in a crowded marketplace? Easy – here are the four most important factors to ponder on.
Corded vs. Cordless Clippers
Corded clippers tend to be highly powerful and that also makes them fantastic for trimming the curly hair of poodles. The only issue with the cord is that it limits your range of operation and might, therefore, be tricky to handle if dealing with a stubborn poodle. Cordless clippers are reputed for their versatility and above all ease-of-use. You, however, need to note that the strength of the battery matters a lot. So, be sure to go for either a Lithium-Ion or NiCad battery.
With so many foreign brands flooding the market, you cannot afford to take their sales copies’ word for it. Always go for a brand you can trust so you can claim the warranty in case of anything. Our top preferred brands are Wahl, Andis, and Oster.
Well, if you decide to go for an Andis branded clipper, chances are that your blade needs have already been taken care of. You’ll, however, need to experiment with a few blades if using any of the other two brands. Typically, the best blade for shaving a poodle is the #7FC. This leaves the fur at 1/8-inch length.
You cannot afford to gamble with ergonomics especially if you care about your comfort. Basically, you want to go for a clipper that’s designed to comfortably fit in your arm and one that’s light in weight as well. Last but not least, go for a budget poodle clipper that comes with an adjustable blade clipper and, maybe, a few additional combs.
Which One is Best for You?
Our best pick is Andis 2-Speed UltraEdge Professional-Grade Clipper. We like it because of its unique ability to combine power with speed. Above all, it has a rare ability to remain cool even when operated for long hours (if you come across one that heats up too fast, you only need to get in touch with the manufacturer as it might be a product flaw which isn’t typical of Andis really). Add that to the fact that it has a quiet motor, ergonomic design, and a powerful housing and you have what’s probably the best poodle fur clipper under 200.
If shaving your poodle is proving a tough call for you, it’s high time you embrace a new way of handling this all-important task. Grab yourself the best clipper for poodles and carefully trim your lovely, furry friend’s coat. Most importantly, be ready for a relationship that stands the test of time. Happy trimming!